Challenging a Speeding Ticket

Speeding is illegal. Speed limits are there to protect other motorists, and other members of the public. Quite simply, speed limits on the roads save lives. If you want to avoid a speeding ticket, keep to the speed limits.

That said, it’s important to note that a speed limit is the maximum speed a motorist is permitted to reach. If the conditions or circumstances are such that a lower speed is more appropriate and you drive faster (but still within the speed limit), and there is an accident, you could still be charged with a driving offence.

Some argue that speed limits are at times too low, but it is impossible to set a speed limit that adjusts itself depending on driver ability. Speeding laws are designed to ensure a cautious driver is not forced to drive beyond their limits to keep up with the traffic flow dictated by a boy racer.

What if I am caught speeding?

If you are caught speeding, you will be sent a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) – a speeding ticket – outlining the offence, and a form called a Section 172 notice. You must complete the s172 notice within 28 days declaring who was driving the car at the time of the alleged offence. If you don’t, you could face six points on your licence, and a fine of up to £1,000.

Once the NIP is returned you may be:

  • issued with a fixed penalty notice: this means 3 to 6 points on your licence, and a fine of between 50% and 150% of your weekly income – depending on the seriousness of the offence. You could also face disqualification
  • invited to attend a speed awareness course. This allows you to avoid the fine and points on your licence but you will have to pay for the course personally
  • prosecuted and fined a percentage of your weekly wage depending on how fast you were going, and receive points on your licence (or be disqualified)

What can I do if I dispute the speeding ticket?

You are innocent until proven guilty, but if you do not challenge the speeding ticket, it will be assumed to be correct. If you believe you do not deserve the speeding ticket, or you think it was sent by mistake, you may have grounds to challenge it. For example:

You were not at the wheel at that time: you’ll need to be able to prove that you were elsewhere at the time the offence was committed.

There were mistakes in the details on your ticket: significant mistakes can mean the NIP is invalid (eg, if the wrong charge is listed on it). However, it can be amended for errors. To successfully challenge it, you will have to be able to show that any amendments would be fatal to the case against you, and highly prejudicial to continue the case.

Signatures were missing on the ticket: this omission alone can overturn your case in a speeding ticket.

The notice was received beyond the 14 days allowed by law: if you do not receive the NIP within 14 days, any prosecution will usually be considered invalid.

The alleged speed violation is inconsistent with the traffic signs posted in the area: you should review the area and make sure the speed limit was properly posted and sufficiently visible.

The camera or the speed gun was faulty or recorded the wrong speed: this is particularly effective if the data is near the borderline of legal speeds. You’ll need to know for sure that your speedometer is in fact accurate. The problem may be proving it in court.

Your GPS data differs from that of the speed camera or gun: a driver safety GPS-based telematics device has been used successfully in the UK to overturn the data from a speeding camera or speed gun

Deciding whether to challenge the NIP

You should weigh up your options carefully and take the advice of specialist speeding offence solicitors before challenging a speeding ticket. It may not be easy defending a speeding ticket in court. If you are convicted, you could face a heavier penalty as well as additional legal fees.

Other Important Information

*No Win No Fee

  • Although all our cases are handled on a no win no fee basis, other costs could be payable upon solicitors request. These will be fully explained to you before you proceed. Most customers will pay 25% (including VAT) of the compensation they are awarded to their law firm, although this may vary based on individual circumstances. Your solicitor may arrange for insurance to be in place for you to make sure your claim is risk free. Termination fees based on time spent may apply, or in situations such as: lack of cooperation or deliberately misleading our solicitors, or failing to go to any medical or expert examination, or court hearing.
  • *Criminal Injury Claims

  • If you want to make a claim for a criminal injury, you are not required to use the services of a claims management company to pursue the claim. You can submit your claim for free on your own behalf, directly to the Criminal Injury Compensation Authority (England, Wales, and Scotland) or the Criminal Injury Compensation Scheme (Northern Ireland).
About the Author

Nicola Laver LLB

Nicola is a dual qualified journalist and non-practising solicitor. She is a legal journalist, editor and author with more than 20 years' experience writing about the law.

When you submit your details, you'll be in safe hands. Our partners are National Accident Helpline (a brand of National Accident Law, a firm of personal injury solicitors regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority). They are the UK's leading personal injury service. Their friendly legal services advisers will call you to talk about your claim and give you free, no-obligation advice. National Accident Law may pay us a marketing fee for our services.

By submitting your personal data, you agree for your details to be sent to National Accident Law so they can contact you to discuss your claim.

If you win your case, your solicitor's success fee will be taken from the compensation you are awarded - up to a maximum of 25%. Your solicitor will discuss any fees before starting your case.