What happens if you lose the title deeds to your property?

Is it important?

In most cases, it does not matter if you cannot find the title deeds to your property. This is because the legal ownership of property (traditionally shown by the title deeds) is registered in a centralised digital register known as HM Land Registry.

Registered title

The requirement for compulsory registration dates back to 1925. The law requires that any disposition (eg. a sale, gift, or mortgage) of unregistered land must be registered at the Land Registry, otherwise it is not legally effective.

Around 85% of properties in England and Wales are now registered at the Land Registry. Where a property is registered at the Land Registry, legal ownership (‘title’) of the property is registered as conclusive proof – along with other legal and beneficial rights in and over the property. This means a separate paper deed is not required, though many people like to have a paper copy of their ownership (called an ‘Official Copy’) for their own records.

In short, if the property is registered at the Land Registry it does not matter if you cannot find any paper deeds or documents.

What if the property is unregistered?

If the property is unregistered and you cannot find the title deeds and documents, you will have to prove legal ownership, ie. that you have the right to sell or otherwise transfer the property (for our purposes, we will assume you are selling the property).

Once legal ownership is proved and the sale is complete, the property must be registered at the Land Registry. The Land Registry – and therefore the buyer’s solicitor – will require proof of legal ownership going back at least 15 years. This means you will need to produce documentary evidence showing a chain of legal ownership for the last 15 years. In practice, many solicitors acting for the buyer in these situations will require the seller to register their ownership at the Land Registry before the sale can proceed.

How do I prove ownership?

If you do not have the deeds because they have been lost or destroyed, you can try to locate them by contacting local solicitors to see if they have any documentation relating to the property. You could also place an advert in the Law Gazette stating the name of the owner/purchaser, the location of the property, and request information. A solicitor involved in the purchase may see the notice and contact you.

You should also search the property itself (and any other possible storage locations). There have been instances where relatives have found the deeds under the floor boards of the property, so you may need to think creatively.

If you still cannot find the deeds, you will need to complete an application for First Registration, and produce evidence in support of your application. You will need to demonstrate at least 15 years of unbroken ownership. If you cannot prove this, you must submit to the Land Registry any documents and other evidence you can to enable the Land Registry to consider some form of registration.

Evidence required for first registration

Any documents in relation to the property and its ownership will be required. This includes any death certificates of past owners and probate documents. You will need to make a ‘statement of truth’ to the Land Registry explaining all search attempts you have made, providing evidence of unsuccessful searches (eg. letters from solicitors). The Land Registry will need a full, factual account of the events that have occurred leading to the loss or destruction of the deeds and other matters relevant to the title. Further statements of truth or statutory declarations from others may be required in support.

You will also need to submit a plan to the Land Registry showing the boundaries of the property. If the neighbouring properties are registered with the Land Registry, you should ideally obtain a copy of the relevant Title Plans from the Land Registry and use them to outline the borders of your property.

The Land Registry will require evidence of your possession of the property. This may be proof of actual possession, such as copies of utility bills; or evidence that you are in receipt of rents or profits; or evidence that, for instance, you have inherited the property, such as the deceased’s will.

You can also ask neighbours, visitors or relatives to make a Statutory Declaration as to your ownership or use of the property to help your application for first registration. Please note that Statutory Declarations must be witnessed in accordance with Land Registry requirements.

What happens next?

Once your application is as complete as possible, send it with the relevant fee to the Land Registry who will contact you if they require further evidence. They are likely to send a surveyor to the property to check the borders before taking further action.

If they do not need any further information or evidence to satisfy your claim to legal ownership, they will register the property and send you an Official Copy. They will most likely register you with ‘possessory title’, which can be upgraded to ‘absolute title’ after 12 years.

It is important you check the information on the Official Copy is correct to avoid any difficulties when you come to sell the property. Also double check the title plan. If you have any enquiries or disputes you must raise these with the Land Registry within 3 weeks to ensure they are resolved.

This can be a complicated process. We strongly advise you to see a specialist property solicitor if you need to make an application for first registration at HM Land Registry.

Other Important Information

*No Win No Fee

  • Although all our cases are handled on a no win no fee basis, other costs could be payable upon solicitors request. These will be fully explained to you before you proceed. Most customers will pay 25% (including VAT) of the compensation they are awarded to their law firm, although this may vary based on individual circumstances. Your solicitor may arrange for insurance to be in place for you to make sure your claim is risk free. Termination fees based on time spent may apply, or in situations such as: lack of cooperation or deliberately misleading our solicitors, or failing to go to any medical or expert examination, or court hearing.
  • *Criminal Injury Claims

  • If you want to make a claim for a criminal injury, you are not required to use the services of a claims management company to pursue the claim. You can submit your claim for free on your own behalf, directly to the Criminal Injury Compensation Authority (England, Wales, and Scotland) or the Criminal Injury Compensation Scheme (Northern Ireland).
About the Author

Nicola Laver LLB

Nicola is a dual qualified journalist and non-practising solicitor. She is a legal journalist, editor and author with more than 20 years' experience writing about the law.

When you submit your details, you'll be in safe hands. Our partners are National Accident Helpline (a brand of National Accident Law, a firm of personal injury solicitors regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority). They are the UK's leading personal injury service. Their friendly legal services advisers will call you to talk about your claim and give you free, no-obligation advice. National Accident Law may pay us a marketing fee for our services.

By submitting your personal data, you agree for your details to be sent to National Accident Law so they can contact you to discuss your claim.

If you win your case, your solicitor's success fee will be taken from the compensation you are awarded - up to a maximum of 25%. Your solicitor will discuss any fees before starting your case.