Domestic Violence Compensation | ™
Or call free on:
0800 234 6438
We take your data seriously. See our privacy policy & terms.
By submitting this form you agree to be contacted by our partners.

Domestic violence compensation

What to do if you’ve experienced domestic violence

There are few things more terrifying than the thought of suffering at the hands of a loved one. Many sufferers of domestic violence feel helpless while in these situations, thinking that nobody will be able to help them get out, but that’s simply not the case.

While making a compensation claim may be the last thing on your mind while dealing with a traumatic experience, it can be the first step in getting back on your feet financially – plus, it may help you feel better that someone has recognised that what happened to you was wrong.

You can get in touch with a trained legal adviser for free on 0800 234 6438. You don’t have to start a compensation claim when you speak to them – so if you’re just looking for help, they’ll be happy to answer your questions and give you a bit more information about what’s involved.

Types of domestic violence

Domestic violence takes many forms, all of which can have a devastating effect on your physical and mental wellbeing, often for years after the abuse.

All types of domestic violence are terrifying; but sometimes the line might feel blurred between what’s right and what’s wrong, as the person guilty of the abuse is likely to be someone you’re close to.

Domestic violence might include:

After you’ve managed to move away from the person causing you harm, you might consider making a compensation claim for your injuries; this is where a trained legal adviser can help. You can call one on 0800 234 6438 to discuss making a claim. But they’ll never push you into starting a case if you don’t feel ready.

Children in domestic cases

Cases of domestic violence are dramatic for anyone involved, but the situation can be even worse for children who have either witnessed abuse or experienced it themselves. Their development can be affected as a result of the trauma, and they may even suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

Unfortunately, domestic violence cases that involve children aren’t uncommon in the UK. The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty (NSPCC) estimates that around 1 in 5 children will experience domestic abuse, of which a third of those will be victims of it themselves.

No amount of money could ever make up for the pain your child has been through, but it’s possible to make a compensation claim on behalf of a child.

CICA and criminal injuries

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) exists to secure financial aid for people who have suffered due to a criminal injury. It’s government funded and designed to protect people in situations where they’ve fallen victim to a violent crime, including domestic violence.

Because of the nature of some types of domestic abuse, it can sometimes be difficult to prove (for example, emotional or psychological abuse). That’s why getting a conviction for these crimes can be tough, and you may think that you won’t get the help you need.

But the CICA can still help you with a compensation claim if:

To be able to make a claim for any type of criminal injury, you have to file the claim within 2 years of the abuse taking place. We know the nature of domestic violence means victims are often unable to get out of their situation and report it – don’t worry, courts will take this into consideration when processing your claim.

Making a compensation claim for domestic abuse

Making a compensation claim for domestic abuse can be very emotional, which may put you off claiming at all. It’s likely that the person who caused your injury was a family member or partner, which can make your situation even more difficult.

But an expert solicitor can help you get the compensation you need to be able to get back on your feet and carry on living your life in the most normal way possible. Compensation won’t take away the emotional and physical pain of being in a violent relationship, but it can:

To find out whether you could make a claim, call a trained legal adviser on 0800 234 6438 or fill in the online form below to arrange a call back.

When you submit your details, you'll be in safe hands. Our partners are National Accident Helpline (a brand of National Accident Law, a firm of personal injury solicitors regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority). They are the UK's leading personal injury service. Their friendly legal services advisers will call you to talk about your claim and give you free, no-obligation advice. National Accident Law may pay us a marketing fee for our services.

By submitting your personal data, you agree for your details to be sent to National Accident Law so they can contact you to discuss your claim.

If you win your case, your solicitor's success fee will be taken from the compensation you are awarded - up to a maximum of 25%. Your solicitor will discuss any fees before starting your case.