Hit and Run Accident Claims | claims.co.uk ™
Or call free on:
0800 234 6438
We take your data seriously. See our privacy policy & terms.
By submitting this form you agree to be contacted by our partners.

Hit and Run Accident Claims

Hit and run accidents can have devastating effects on your physical and mental health. Making a personal injury claim can help you recover.

Hit and run personal injury claim

We all expect other drivers to take the same precautions as us on the road, including showing respect for road users and pedestrians. Unfortunately, this doesn’t always happen; hit-and-run accidents are more common than you’d like to think.

According to research, the number of hit and run accidents in London has increased 40% since 2011, showing a significant problem with irresponsible drivers.

If you, a loved one, or a child is injured in a hit and run accident, you have the right to make a claim.

Speaking to a legal advisory service on 0800 234 6438 can help you assess your eligibility and claim compensation.

The law surrounding hit and run accidents

All road users have a responsibility to look out for other people and promote safety on the roads. The UK laws state that anyone in a road traffic accident (RTA) has to stop at the scene and ensure the other party is OK, as well as swap insurance details.

If a driver doesn’t stop at the scene of the accident, then it’s known as a hit and run. In rare cases, hit and run drivers might not notice they’ve caused an accident – but it’s more common they flee due to fear.

The laws are clear, yet people still do it. The question is, why?

Uninsured drivers

All drivers must have insurance in the UK, so when someone doesn’t have a policy or needs to update their insurance company, they might leave the scene without stopping out of fear. However, not stopping at the scene can have serious repercussions with the police.

Illegal activity

Driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs is illegal, as it can impair someone’s judgement and result in accidents. Some people might flee the scene if the car is stolen or they don’t have a driving license.

Outstanding warrants

If a person has an outstanding arrest warrant or is in the country illegally, they might leave the scene because they fear being caught and deported/sent to prison.

Find out more about claiming criminal injury compensation.

General fear

Some drivers might be sober, have insurance and have no reason to flee, but they do it because they panic. While this is rare, it can happen, and drivers will often regret their actions afterwards but be too scared to come forward.

The common injuries from hit and run accidents

Hit and run accident victims include pedestrians, other drivers, bike riders and passengers. There are so many potential injuries in any road traffic accident, but the most common include:

  • Broken bones: These can be minor fractures or severe breaks that require surgery and rehabilitation.
  • Head injuries: Concussions and traumatic brain injuries.
  • Whiplash: A common injury that causes a lot of pain.
  • Shoulder and back injuries: These can be minor sprains, dislocations and severe back injuries that might cause hospitalisation or permanent mobility issues.
  • Post-traumatic stress: PTSD can occur after a trauma, and it causes anxiety, depression and panic attacks.

While these are just some injuries, any injury resulting from an accident that you weren’t responsible for could mean you’re eligible for compensation.

Determining your eligibility

If you’re in a car accident and the other driver is responsible, you’ll probably be able to claim compensation. The key is proving the driver was negligent and left the scene without calling for help and providing their insurance company details.

You can make a claim if you prove the driver is negligent. However, you should always report the incident to the police, as some drivers cannot be traced, and they’ll need to investigate the accident.

The Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) offers the following eligibility criteria:

  • You’re involved in a hit and run incident.
  • You – or a loved one – sustained injuries.
  • The incident occurred due to an untraced driver.

How to make a compensation claim

Making a hit and run claim is slightly different to other claims because you’ll usually go through the Motor Insurers Bureau. The bureau was created in 1946 by the government, and all car insurance providers must be active members.

It’s around to help people who can’t make a regular accident claim due to uninsured or untraced drivers, seek compensation.

Some drivers might be from foreign countries, and it would be difficult to make a claim, but the MIB was established to support people and help them get the hit and run compensation they deserve.

The claims process is similar to other claims, but you won’t be dealing directly with the negligent party.

Here’s how it works.

Get advice on your eligibility

For free legal advice about whether you can bring a no win no fee hit and run injury claim, get in touch with a legal advisor on 0800 234 6438 – or submit your name and number using the form on this page to request a call back to discuss the personal injury claims process.

Contacting legal advisory services can help determine whether you’re eligible to make a claim and save you some time. You’ll also receive access to a top no win no fee solicitor to help ensure you’re successful.

Meet with a no win no fee company

It’s always best to meet with no win no fee solicitors because they’ll only take on a case if they’re confident you’ll win. These lawyers receive no payment unless they successfully win compensation for you, so you don’t have to worry about any financial risks.

Gather evidence

Once you decide to proceed with the compensation claim, your lawyer will gather evidence on your behalf, but it also helps if you do the same when the incident occurs. Even though you won’t have the driver’s details, you can still do the following:

  • Make notes: You should record the date, time and incident that occurred.
  • Record any information about the vehicle: For example, part of the registration number, colour, model, and anything else that might help the investigation.
  • Footage: Try to secure dashcam footage or ask witnesses if they have any that they can send to you.
  • Get details from witnesses: Ask any witnesses of the accident for their contact details, as they might have to give a statement.
  • Call an ambulance or go to the hospital: You’ll need to be able to prove your injuries, so it’s always best to go to the hospital and get checked out.
  • Report the incident: You should also call the police or ask someone else to do it, as they’ll need to investigate.
  • Take note of any CCTV: There might be CCTV from shops or buildings near the incident, so make sure you at least record the exact area, as this can provide evidence for your police and solicitors.

Your solicitor will also gather evidence from doctors and hospital reports, as well as potentially send you for a medical assessment to document your injuries.

Liaising with the MIB

The crucial part of any claim is meeting with the negligent party, but in hit and run compensation cases, it will be a meeting with the Motor Insurers Bureau.

Your lawyer will meet with them and offer evidence to prove your injuries, and the MIB will assess your eligibility.

Settling on compensation

The MIB will offer compensation based on your injuries and their impact on your life. Once the money comes through, the solicitor will take their fee out of the amount, and you’ll receive the rest.

Claiming seems like a long-winded process, but it’s relatively simple when you have the evidence and the support of a specialist lawyer.

Get advice on hit and run claims today

For free legal advice about whether you can bring a no win no fee hit and run claim, get in touch with a legal advisor on 0800 234 6438 – or submit your name and number using the form on this page to request a call back to discuss the personal injury claims process.

No amount of money can replace the shock and stress that comes with a hit and run accident, but the compensation you receive will improve your life and help you to recover any financial losses.


How much compensation will I get?

The amount of compensation with hit and run accident claims depends on the severity of your injuries and how they impact your life. For example, if a person suffers a traumatic head injury that means they’ll need lifelong care, they’ll receive more money than an individual with broken bones.

You can use a compensation calculator to get an idea of how much money you’ll get, but it’s best to wait for your solicitor to assess your case.

Why get advice before going to a solicitor?

There are plenty of no win no fee law firms, but not all are reputable and some will try to charge you a fee regardless of whether you win your case or not. When you get in touch with a legal advisor on 0800 234 6438 – or submit your name and number using the form on this page to request a call back, you’ll speak with a specially trained legal advisor who will give you free legal advice about your potential claim. If they believe you could be successful, they will pass your details onto a personal injury solicitor who will work on a no win no fee basis.

Should I claim with the MIB?

The Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) is there to help people like you who have been in a hit and run accident. You should absolutely make a claim because that’s the purpose of the MIB, and you deserve compensation.

Other Important Information

*No Win No Fee

  • Although all our cases are handled on a no win no fee basis, other costs could be payable upon solicitors request. These will be fully explained to you before you proceed. Most customers will pay 25% (including VAT) of the compensation they are awarded to their law firm, although this may vary based on individual circumstances. Your solicitor may arrange for insurance to be in place for you to make sure your claim is risk free. Termination fees based on time spent may apply, or in situations such as: lack of cooperation or deliberately misleading our solicitors, or failing to go to any medical or expert examination, or court hearing.
  • *Criminal Injury Claims

  • If you want to make a claim for a criminal injury, you are not required to use the services of a claims management company to pursue the claim. You can submit your claim for free on your own behalf, directly to the Criminal Injury Compensation Authority (England, Wales, and Scotland) or the Criminal Injury Compensation Scheme (Northern Ireland).
About the Author

Nicola Laver LLB

Nicola is a dual qualified journalist and non-practising solicitor. She is a legal journalist, editor and author with more than 20 years' experience writing about the law.

When you submit your details, you'll be in safe hands. Our partners are National Accident Helpline (a brand of National Accident Law, a firm of personal injury solicitors regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority). They are the UK's leading personal injury service. Their friendly legal services advisers will call you to talk about your claim and give you free, no-obligation advice. National Accident Law may pay us a marketing fee for our services.

By submitting your personal data, you agree for your details to be sent to National Accident Law so they can contact you to discuss your claim.

If you win your case, your solicitor's success fee will be taken from the compensation you are awarded - up to a maximum of 25%. Your solicitor will discuss any fees before starting your case.